Sunday, April 19, 2009

Good News and Commissioning

On Saturday morning, I walked our dog Duke to let the dh sleep in. I usually don’t do this, but I was feeling joyful after a really nice good-bye party from my previous work. And, with the prospect of following my passion and calling ~ a few minutes of sleep seemed like a small sacrifice.


While walking Duke an email came over my crackberry. “Good news” it was title. It was from my mission mentor. A patron had given us a chartered flight on Mission Aviation Fellowship (MAF) from Dar es Salaam to Dodoma. She asked if I was ok with this. Swallowing the lump in my throat, I immediately emailed back “Way cool!”.

The way cool part was this was EXACTLY the reason I am taking this trip with her. First, I learned with this email how important it is to ask if something is ok with your travel companions. Never assume! That really comforted me.

And second, anyone who knows me at all knows this is so outside my comfort zone it is unreal. The daggone flight that made me hate flying in the first place, a commercial fight taking off in the tailwinds of Hurricane Hugo, was a puddle jumper. Now God is asking me to get into a five seater.

And, the reason this is “Way cool!”….last summer when we returned from South Africa, I commented to my husband on how smooth the flights were . He said that I could expect that from now on while flying overseas. Without missing a beat, I said, “Yeah, until I’m flying out to nowhere on my mission work.” This was said flippantly and way before I began the discernment process.

Careful what you wish for! :)

On to the Commissioning….

Below is the prayer Oran read for me. Both services were lovely. And, Sam is going to say it again tonight at the 5 pm service. I haven’t ever been to more than two services a day. Only odd part, I was thanked by a parishioner for “my service”. It was so nice, and so unexpected. That and Doug’s African music….like the unexpected plane ride…way cool!

Let us now commission and pray for these your servant Amy whom we send forth in mission:

Eternal God, you have promised your salvation to all peoples, and have given us a vision of a great multitude around your throne, from all nations and tribes and languages: Help us as we bring this vision into our time and place; go with Amy who now undertakes your work in the church of Tanzania. Enable her to hear and speak new words of hope and praise, and bring her safely back to us with renewed vision of your glory and purpose; through Jesus Christ, the living Word. Amen.

I didn’t think I’d ever understand the meaning of being humbled….I think I’m beginning to get it.

No comments:

Post a Comment