Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Directions

I was telling my husband the other day that with my recent posts (Old Town pics and our wine choices) that my blog looked like a "Wino Tour of Old Town" rather than a blog about mission work.

But, I don't find this inconsistent. After my last trip to Tanzania and before this last trip to South Africa, my prayer partner had put a challenge in my heart. She (not sure how intentional it was) had begun challenging me to think about working for God in other ways than just "in the field". Is a job at an NGO not still "mission" work she asked. Or rather, that is how I interpreted one of her questions. And, it was a good question.

During this last trip to South Africa, on the weekend when all the missionaries were to go to stay with host families, I found myself in South Africa drinking Pinotage and shopping at the mall. My host priest had become ill. While going up the escalator at the mall, I caught myself trying to figure out what God had in store for me. Shopping and drinking wine? Hmmmmmm.....

Well, I am open to finding out. So for now, probably more pictures of wine and Old Town than of African AIDS orphans. But, that is fine. My life is complex and that is, in my opinion, part of the journey.

Merry Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment